Monday, February 2, 2009

Rollercoaster Day

I wanted to think of a catchy title for this blog, but it must not exist. I take my first medication associated with our March IVF cycle tonight. It is progesterone. I will take it for 5 days to induce my "cycle" - sorry if that is too much information for those 2 . . .3 guys that may be reading this. Anyway, then I will take oral contraceptives to manipulate my "cycle" to align with the March treatment cycle. It may not be much, but I am happy to get something going.

I spoke to Mary, the head nurse at Sher Institute, via e-mail Friday. She said that I will be assigned a coordinator that will contact me this week. My coordinator goes through my treatment calendar with me and explains and orders all of the drugs, etc. Boy, is she going to love me. I have all of the questions, piling up, for her. Anyway, the process is finally under way.

I didn't know whether or not to include this, because we have not had a chance to contact all of our family yet, but we just found out late this afternoon that my mom has breast cancer. I do not know all of the details, because I was not at her appointment today. I am kicking myself for that one. She didn't write anything down and I think she was in shock. I am in shock. It hasn't sunk in yet.

I just have this feeling in my gut that everything is going to be okay. I tend to be a pessimist disguised as a realist, but that is turning around for me. I feel very optimistic about this. I know that everything is going to be okay. I just know it.

She had a lumpectomy last week and in her follow up appointment today, her doctor today told her that they are certain that they caught it early. They did not remove all of the cancerous cells during the lumpectomy. They believe it is Stage I, but they want to do a Pet Scan to be certain. So, we are trying to decide where we will be pursuing treatment. There is going to be one more follow-up appointment next week and I will be attending that one.

I think my mom is hanging in there. She has the attitude that she just wants to jump in and nip it in the bud. And that is what we will do. She has great support and I know we will all pull each other through this.

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, as I said earlier, for your positive attitude and optimistic outlook! You know that I am here for you if you need me, just like when we were younger. The distance is a bit further then a 5 second run from your house to mine, but I am here just the same. LOL do you remember that night???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tisha....I am adding your mom to my daily prayer list. Hang in there girl. I know that I shared this in my Christmas card but my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer in June. She had Stage 2 Grade 3 ductal carcinoma. She is 100% cancer free! Her cancer blog is REMARKABLE.
    www.http://myfightagainstbreastcancer.blogspot.com
    If you or your mom need someone to talk to you can always e-mail or call my friend Mel. You guys are in my prayers. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...I am praying for you!!! For both you and your mom, your attitude is key! Good job! I can't say how sorry I am to hear this news, but I'm so happy they seem to have caught it early.

    ReplyDelete