Friday, October 23, 2009

OLEVA KICKED CANCER'S BUTT!!



On Saturday, October 17, twenty-one people gathered at Keith's Cafe in Memphis to celebrate a very momentous occasion. My mom, Oleva, finished all of her breast cancer treatments on Wednesday, October 14!

This all started with a mammogram in December 2008. She had a biopsy completed on January 27, 2009. She had another surgery on March 1, 2009 and we learned on March 10, 2009 that she was diagnosed with Stage III Metastatic Ductal Cell Carcinoma of the left breast. Her first chemo treatment was March 31, 2009 and her last radiation treatment was October 14, 2009. What a long journey. It was not an easy one, but she made it!!!

She had a follow-up appointment this past Tuesday, October 20, with her oncologist, Dr. Perry, at Ellis Fischel in Columbia. They did some blood work, checked out the blood clots and swelling in her leg, and examined the burns on her skin from the radiation. She will be taking Coumadin forever (unfortunately) and another medication that will be determined based on her blood work. This other medication will also be taken forever. It will be a hormone to help prevent the return of cancer. Because of her clotting disorders, it is apparently difficult to find the correct medication that will not increase the possibility of her getting future blood clots.

So far, everything is going great. She spent Wednesday afternoon and evening doing yard work - something she enjoys. She is already starting to feel better, but still frustrated with the swelling in her leg. Dr. Perry explained to her that it could take up to a year for the swelling to subside. She is also still having some pain from the radiation treatments. Dr. Perry said that she should be back to new in a month or so.

Mom sent a nice note to her supporters. I want to share it with you.


I'm a Breast Cancer Survivor

I thought I would forward a quick note to those that thought of me during my trials and tribulations.

The above says it all! Although I thought at times I would never get through this, as of October 14, 2009, I have completed all the chemo and radiation required to state that I am a survivor.

I cannot express enough gratitude to family, co-workers, friends and Dave. Even if it was just a phone call or you stopped by, I appreciated your concern.

I completed 20 weeks of chemotherapy and 30 sessions of radiation. Now, it is just a matter of wait and see. As far as we are concerned, I am considered cancer free. There will be blood tests, scans and more pills than I care to think about, but I think the hard part is behind us.

I have a great future planned with Dave and with the expected arrival of three new grandbabies within the next five months, God has blessed me. I intend to live life to the fullest!

Again, thank you and I hope you are all as blessed as I feel that I am.

-Oleva

2 comments:

  1. YIPPEE for Oleva! I am so happy that she is done with all of her treatments and that she is starting to feel normal. Of course I am still praying for her leg. CONGRATS! Now she can enjoy the fun with two precious miracle babies!

    ReplyDelete