Sunday, August 23, 2009

Not So Subtle Blessings

Where to begin?? I am so behind on this blog. So, you will be getting a long one today.

Mom is finished with chemo!! She starts six weeks of daily radiation tomorrow. She will drive to Kirksville five days a week for this. She is doing well with one exception. She is still struggling with the blood clot issue in her leg. She still has a lot of swelling and pain in her leg. She will be fitted for some sort of a pressure stocking to help get the swelling down. She is not excited about the stocking but is ready to eliminate the swelling. It is preventing her from exercising and other physical activities that she enjoys.

Because Mom also had a blood clot in her leg many years ago, Dr. Perry (her oncologist) completed some testing to rule out a genetic cause. Unfortunately, it was determined that she has an inherited clotting disorder that has contributed to the blood clots. The genetic condition is called a Prothrombin Gene Mutation or Factor II Mutation. She produces more prothrombin than the average person. Prothrombin is a protein in the blood that helps blood clot. She produces too much of it and, therefore, is more likely to develop clots. This puts her at risk for throwing a blood clot to the lungs, stroke, etc.

It was very disappointing to learn of this issue, especially because Dr. Perry says that it is likely that she will be on coumadin (a fairly strong blood thinner) for the rest of her life. But, on the other hand, I am glad that we know what is causing the blood clots. Perhaps we will be able to prevent future complications.

The story continues . . . Mom's oncologist knew that I was pregnant and suggested that I be tested for the Prothrombin Gene Mutation. Unfortunately, I also have the disease. Not a lot of research has been completed on the effect of the disease on pregnancy, but it is believed that it can cause late pregnancy loss, preeclampsia, placenta abruption, and other serious pregnancy complications. So, my OB wants me to take heparin injections at home twice daily for the rest of my pregnancy and for six weeks after I deliver. Heparin is a mild blood thinner that is safe during pregnancy. It should help prevent the above complications. Apparently, many pregnant women have to take Heparin injections for various reasons.

How do I feel about all of this? I'm still processing it, but currently I feel very blessed. Weird? I know. I feel lucky to have learned of the Prothrombin Gene Mutation. Obviously, I would give anything for Mom to not have developed cancer and I really wish her leg would finally heal, but the timing of everything is just too perfect. It seems like everything this year is happening for a reason. It is all God's plan. If Mom never would have had cancer, we may have never learned of her Prothrombin Gene Mutation. If we never learned of it, she could have had a stroke someday, I could have lost one of the babies - or worse, both babies.

I have a sense of peace and calmness that I have never experienced previously in my lifetime. I am a worrier by nature and I currently don't feel the need to worry. Mom will be done with her treatments soon and I know that we will never have to deal with this cancer nonsense again. I know my babies are going to be okay, because Dave and I deserve to be parents.

None of this is a coincidence. I feel God's presence in our lives like I never have before. Usually, I keep my religious beliefs private, but I had to share this with all of you. I have never had so many answered prayers. I am just so lucky. I have so much to look forward to. Everything will be okay.

Dave spent the weekend painting the nursery. He completed the base coat, but is planning to add a chair rail and some light blue and chocolate brown stripes below the chair rail. It is going to be so cute. He also ordered the nursery furniture this week. We went to Kansas City last weekend and picked out some beautiful furniture.

The babies have been moving a lot over the past couple of weeks. Dave can feel them move a lot more. I can actually see my belly move very frequently. I love it! I feel very good right now. I am very tired, have a lot of heartburn and I look like I am at least 7 months pregnant, but that nasty nausea has been gone for 6 weeks now!! I am starting to feel a sense of urgency in getting everything ready for the babies. Dave has prematurely started nesting. It is so cute.

We have decided to hire a babysitter/nanny to come into our home to watch the babies when I go back to work after my maternity leave. We have interviewed several people that we like, so it seems that we have good options. It is a huge relief. I will be working three days per week after my maternity leave. I think that will give me a good balance.

Here are my 22 week belly picture from last Monday. I will be 23 weeks tomorrow.




5 comments:

  1. Tisha,

    Talk about coincidences and such...My mom also has this genetic disorder. I totally know how you are feeling. It is so scary and what is odd is a lot of physicians do not no much about it. My mom gets her INR's done twice a month. She has a personal relationship with everyone at her doctors office. She takes different doses of coumadin depending on the protimes. I really do feel that God has a perfect timing for everything. Just like you said if your mom did not have cancer and the blood clots your babies could have been at risk. Did the doctors say anything about this affecting your infertility issues? I pray for you and these beautiful boys daily. Hang in there. Just when you thought you were done with all the injections, right? You look so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute pic! I am glad that everything is working out. YAY for your mom being done with chemo. Can't wait to see this nursery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful to visit with you and catch up, thanks for checking in on us. I'm so happy to hear the good news with your mom and with you and your boys! I'm still amazed to see my belly move violently and though the rib shots from Baby Girl hurt, they are comforting to have. Your belly is gorgeous! Can't wait to see nursery pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so cute; all belly. What blessings. A colleague of mine also had to take those shots during her first pregnancy. She now has two beautiful children. Take care of yourself and good luck with the nanny shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look AWESOME!

    And, what has happened this year sucks, but like you said, what a BLESSING!!!

    Not all the time do we get to actually SEE God's plan and why He does what He does. But, when we do, that just helps us even more to have faith.

    Praying for you every time I think of you!

    ReplyDelete