Sunday, April 26, 2009

As the Plan is Revealed

I have spent a lot of time over the past several months (and years) speculating about God's plan for my family.  I have known for the past three years that He has a specific plan for Dave and myself that would reveal itself in good time.  The problem with that  -  I am an impatient person that prefers to be in control.  I am striving to improve this negative quality.  It is my personal mission to no longer be described as a "control freak" one day in the future . . .  maybe the distant future.  I am still a realist.

The plan is becoming more and more obvious on a daily basis.  It's pretty simple.  My beautiful mother is going through the most challenging event of her life - breast cancer.  I hope that this is the most difficult thing that she ever experiences.  I can't imagine her going through anything scarier.  She says that anything like this happening to any of her children would be worse.  Every mother appreciates that.  Through all of the chemo treatments, fatigue, lack of appetite, baldness . . .  she has a light at the end of the tunnel.  She will be a grandma soon.  She will receive a gift that she has been patiently awaiting for years (and years).  

I have never seen her so happy in all of my life.  Isn't it ironic?  She is still receiving cards from friends, acquaintances, and neighbors regularly.  People that barely know her ask me about her every day.  She is so lucky to be a part of such a wonderful, caring community.  I know that her heart is full of appreciation and gratitude.  It has all been very unexpected.  

She encountered her first major obstacle on Friday, April 17th.  She had been losing her hair that entire week and her wig finally arrived that day.  So, she made a trip to her salon and had her head shaved.  It was very upsetting to her.  She hates it.  It was nothing less than traumatic.  Her wig is beautiful - but couldn't be more uncomfortable.  She says that the entire time that it is on her head she is thinking about it.  "It feels like I am wearing a stocking cap."  

So, she has been wearing scarves on her head instead.  She came to Kirksville yesterday and we found some really pretty silk scarves that will work great.  She usually forgets that the scarves are on her head until someone looks at her funny.  That is a reminder.  I know that this process is so very difficult for her, but she is handling it with grace.   I know that she is happy.  I know that she feels very loved.  I know that she will get through it.  

She still has a long road, but she has that wonderful gift waiting at the end.  She will get there.

I want to share some pictures from her last chemo treatment that was on April 14 in Columbia.  We celebrated my 31st birthday with Jeff that day.





4 comments:

  1. Tisha, I am so proud of you!!! You are doing a fabulous job keeping a positive attitude and I know that you are helping your mom stay positive!

    Keep the Faith!!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's not wearing a wig in those pictures, is she? If so, it doesn't look like it. You both are so blessed to have one another through this journey!!! I'm praying for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that God has revealed his plan for you, Dave, your mom, and these babies. They are arriving at the perfect time. You have been such a inspiration to all of those that have faced defeat and joy. I love the pics from your birthday dinner. Your mom looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that God has a plan for all of us, but we are inpatient. It is hard for those of us who like to plan everything, but it is his plan that we are following.

    As for your mother, she is beautiful(hair or no hair). She has always been and still is beautiful and very strong. I know that she will get through all of this. She has so many people praying for her. You do know that you get your strength and beauty from her. Love ya both!

    ReplyDelete