Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Two For the Price of One


Count them.  TWO.  That is the number of babies I am currently carrying.  Dave and I are thrilled to learn that we are going to have twins - assuming both babies stay healthy.  Please pray that both babies stay healthy.  Our ultrasound went very well this morning.  Dr. Ahlering gave me an A+.  He said that everything looked perfect.  He did not measure for a due date, but according to the dates of the egg retrieval and embryo transfer, I am 5 weeks, 2 days along.  That puts my due date somewhere around December 21.  Of course, I probably will not carry twins to full term.  

I also had my final intralipid infusion today to prevent my immune system from attacking the babies.  I expressed a concern to Dr. A that perhaps we should do at least one or two more intralipid infusions and he stated that he felt comfortable calling today's infusion the final one.  That sounded just peachy to me.  

I am continuing with my daily dexamethasone and baby aspiring pills until May 16.  I will continue my prenatal vitamins, of course.  I am also continuing with my daily progesterone supplements and injections of hCG every Monday, Wednesday, & Friday and injections of progesterone every 3rd day also until May 16.  I will be so happy when we are finished with all of the injections.

We will return to Dr. Ahlering's office next Wednesday, April 29th for ultrasound #2.  He said that we should be able to hear/see heart beats.  He also said that if everything looks good next week, he will probably release me to a regular OB.  I need to start looking for a good OB/GYN in Columbia.  Any ideas?  

Dr. Ahlering also released me to exercise today.  I am thrilled about that.  To run or not to run . . .  That is the question.  I am wavering on this one.  I may wait until I am out of my first trimester to run.  I don't want to have any regrets, but I do want to stay in shape.  I think I will do a lot of walking, yoga, Wii Fit, some strength training for my legs.  

You are all so amazing to show such sincere concern and excitement for us.  We feel like our dream is finally coming true.  I know that the prayers and support from each and every one of you has contributed to our success.  We are so lucky to have such wonderfully supportive family and friends.  Don't forget us when we are elbow deep in diapers.  We will need lots of support then, too.

13 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I am so happy about 2 little babies! Double Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pictures of my first Grandchildren with Tisha! Beautiful aren't they?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for both of you and your two angels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing. I am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sitting up at Kevin's office. I could not wait to check your blog tonight so I did it up here. I am wiping the tears off my face as I type. I am so HAPPY for you guys. TWO BABIES! What a gift. We will continue to pray for you, Baby A, Baby B, Dave, and your mom. This is so exciting! Please keep the updates coming. As for the running....I would take some time off. I say that because I am not a runner and I would not run unless I had too. Don't worry about the extra weight. It's good for twins :*) This is your time to eat whatever you want. Congrats to both of you. My dream of Christmas babies might just come true. I think in the dream their names were Jack and Noelle. Celebrate big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree no running!!! Gain a little weight!! I will be more than willing to wade into the sea of diapers at any moment!! Dreams are a wonderful thing--especially when they come true!! Congrats again and like always--KEEP THE FAITH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH I knew I had a good feeling about this and I am so happy it has come true.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so happy for both of you! We are definitely keeping the faith and I'm going to stretch and hope for at least one little girl; it's been way too long for our side! I also agree to at least one trip home the first six months to help with diapers! You know how special you are since it will be winter!!! Love you guys,

    Susan & Bill

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments and support. I have a feeling it is going to be two for the price of two from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Dave's comment. Two for the price of two...hilarious. Spoken like a true Dad. Just remember Dave you were the one that was selecting furniture out of Pottery Barn :)
    We are still on cloud nine from your big news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First of all hip, hip, hooray! I have to add my "runner" two-cents. Don't worry about the weight or the running. Stay healthy and do what you are comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my gosh, I'm so excited!! They are BEAUTIFUL! I heard someone call her twins in utero "peanut butter and jelly" because she wanted them to have sticky names. :-)

    ReplyDelete