Saturday, March 28, 2009

Follicles Finally in a Row . . . Like Ducks

We saw Dr. Ahlering this morning for an ultrasound, and he gave us great news.  We had about nine large follicles that measured anywhere from 12 to 21 mm.  They took their time getting there, but they are finally ready for the hCG injection this evening. So, tonight at exactly 10:15 pm, Dave will give me an injection of hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).  This matures my eggs and follicles to completion and allows the eggs to be released from the follicles.  

We will have our egg retrieval exactly 36 hours later - Monday morning at 10:15 am.  I will be placed under anesthesia.  It is a very simple procedure with usually only mild cramping afterward.  An ultrasound-guided needle is passed vaginally to each ovary.  The follicle fluid is aspirated with the needle and collected in a test tube.  The eggs will be found in the aspirated fluid.  It is delivered to the embryologist in the lab.  As soon as we are done, Dave will drive us home.  

The embryologist in the lab will fertilize each egg with a procedure called ICSI (intracytoplasmic sperm injection).  They inject one of Dave's sperm (sorry if that is too much info) into each of my eggs to fertilize them.  This helps to ensure that each egg will become fertilized.  The embryos will be allowed to mature at least 3 days.  Dr. Ahlering suggested today that we just plan on a day-5 blastocyst transfer.  

So, our intent is to return to St. Louis Friday evening and complete the embryo transfer sometime on Saturday.  I will be on "bed rest" for 24 hours after the embryo transfer and they recommend limited physical activity for about 2 weeks thereafter.  They said that Dave can drive me home immediately after the procedure.  When talking to Andrea, my coordinator, today, she said that there is still a chance we may need to do the day-3 embryo transfer.  So, we will be ready to make a mad dash to St. Louis on Thursday, if necessary.  

Tonight, after the Mizzou game, Dave and I are going to see Cirque Dreams at the Fox Theater.  I am excited about it.  He is indifferent.  I know he will love it.  It is a spin-off of Cirque de Solei.  I will let you know how it goes.  

MIZZOU IS BEATING UCONN!!!  (Sorry for that lapse in concentration.  We are watching the game right now.)

I have more good news.  I get to go to Columbia with Mom Tuesday, March 31, for her first chemo appointment.  I have been hoping that the IVF schedule would allow me to go with her on Tuesday.  My aunt Carla will be going, too.  We will be getting test results from the Cat Scan, MUGA Scan, bone scan, so I really wanted to be there.  I will let you know how that goes, too.  

Again, thanks for reading.  We both appreciate your support.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! So exciting! I have been checking your blog constantly for updates. I am so happy for you and Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Melissa, YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great week! It seems like it is all coming together!!

    ReplyDelete