Monday, March 16, 2009

New Drug

Tonight Dave & I added an injection of Gonal-F to our daily drug routine.  It required the use of a 27-gauge needle and 225 IU of the actual drug.  It wasn't pleasant.  We tried a new injection site - the ever-famous ass.  I seem to have plenty of fat there.  I have bruises all over my stomach, so I thought we would try something new.  It still hurt.  And it took forever!  I make him inject the medicine slowly.  He had a hard time breaking the skin with the slightly bigger needle - the insulin syringes we are using for the Lupron are smaller.  

The purpose of Gonal-F is to stimulate the formation of eggs in my ovaries.  I have taken Follistim previously, and it is another brand of the same drug.  I had mood swings, bloating, and a full feeling in my lower abdomen with Follistim.  I expect the same with Gonal-F.

I got a prescription for generic Ambien today.  In case you don't know, it is a sleeping pill.  I am having some significant trouble sleeping, so I broke down and asked for help.  I am looking forward to a full 8 hours tonight.  

Just to update you, the daily drug total is as follows:

.75 mg dexamethasone (steroid pill)
prenatal vitamin
Lupron injection
Gonal-F injection
Ambien (sleeping pill) as needed

It doesn't seem too bad so far.  Dave and I are notably more grouchy with each other, but we will get through it.  I would like to share some photos with you.  




1 comment:

  1. Geez Dave you look way to excited!!! The bigger needle sounds like a pain in the ... Sorry not funny! Love ya

    ReplyDelete